Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities Program
For information call: 905 665 1030
Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services
1400 Hopkins St., Whitby, Ontario L1N 2C3
The Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) program provides financial assistance to parents to help with the extraordinary cost related to their child's severe disability. It is a direct funding program for low and moderate income families.
Who Can Apply?
Parents, family members, legal guardians and individuals 16 of years of age and over may apply.
Who is Eligible?
- Resident of Ontario
- Children under the age of 18
- Children who have a severe disability which results in a functional loss
- Live at home with families (or legal guardian)
- Have extraordinary cost which are incurred directly as a result of the disability
What are extraordinary costs?
- Transportation to and from medical appointments
- Specialized clothing
- Trained Sitters
- Caregiver Respite
- Specialized learning and development equipment
- Social Opportunities
What is included in the benefit?
- The amount of financial assistance is determined based on your yearly extraordinary expenses and your gross family income. Minimum monthly payment is no less than $25 per month and no more than $440.00 per month
- A drug card (includes prescriptions drugs)
- A Dental card (basic coverage)
- Vision and Hearing Service
- Items related to vision and hearing services
- The consumer contribution for an Assistive Device under the Assistive Devices Program (provided through the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care)
- The cost of an assessment for an assistive device and the cost of batteries and repairs necessary for mobility devices.
How do I apply?
- You can apply by filling out an application on your own or with the assistance of an agency or a professional. An application and expense report can be obtained through ytour local Regional Office.
- You will need the following information in order to determine eligibility for this program:
- An application form - signed
- A completed Expense Report
- A medical statement or psychological assessement clearly confirming the diagnosis of your family member's disability
- Income Verification
- Verification of Birth for the qualifying child
- A copy of the child's health card
Who do I contact for more information?